I found an adorable patchwork twirler dress pattern on Etsy, here is the address of the shop:
And then I found this fabric:
One great thing + one great thing = Pure excitement!
So I got to work! These dresses were extremely time consuming, but worth ever minute! I have plans to make at least 4 more, plus some for my nieces.
I cut out the bodice pieces:
I cut out all the squares, 105 for Heidi's dress and 87 for Karilyn's:
I put the bodice together:
I started attaching the layers:
I used clear elastic for the gathering to save time, it really helped.
I ironed each layer as it went on:
I hemmed it:
I slip stitched the inside of the bodice. The pattern suggested doing it another way, but I like this way so the seam isn't rubbing against their skin.
I accidentally slip stitched a bit too much, or rather slip stitched the skirt into the top part, oops!
I used fray check for Heidi's dress, but I got smarter when I make Karilyn's and I zigzag stitched the seams. A serger would have come in handy for this part, I could have gone to use my mom's, but these dresses were already time consuming enough.
They're finally done!
I wanted to take pictures sooner, but the kids had the flu and I didn't want anyone puking on their new dress during the "photo shoot".
Heidi wanted to go inside because she's "afraid of the wind", yes, afraid of the wind! I haven't heard that one before. She refuses to let us have any windows open, looks like it's going to be air conditioning all around for us, oh shoot.